Vig & Juice Ep.5: PASPA
October 22, 2019 | By Vela Wood
Vig & Juice is a podcast discussing the history and legality of gambling and sports betting in the US. Vig & Juice is hosted by three attorneys who practice Fantasy Sports & Gaming Law at Vela Wood and are principal agents at VW Agency, a talent & strategy consulting agency focused on fantasy sports and sports betting.
In this episode, we discuss PASPA, the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992, including its carveouts and nationalization issues as well sports leagues’ role as enforcers of PASPA.
- 0:55 – 1992 Song Game
- 4:00 – Role of PASPA
- 5:15 – Circumstances Surrounding Legislation
- 7:45 – Nationalization Issues & Carveouts
- 9:40 – Betting Cards
- 11:50 – Civil Statute & Private Actors
- 13:50 – Why Leagues Care
- 16:00 – Jai Alai & Para Mutual Betting
- 17:55 – Scandals & Sports Leagues
- 21:10 – PASPA Repeal Preview
- The Repeal of PASPA
- Sports Betting Legislation Tracker
- Fantasy Sports Contest Legislation Tracker
- Why Playing Fantasy Sports Is Legal (For The Most Part)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions!