VDR Ch. 4, Part 1: Economic Terms of the Term Sheet
Office Hours is our podcast covering general issues related to small businesses and startups. Venture Deals Review is a series of Office Hours episodes discussing the book Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson.
In this episode, we review Chapter 4: Economic Terms of the Term Sheet and discuss why the difference between pre-money valuation and post-money valuation matters when negotiating with a VC, why price per share is critical in later financing docs, what is included in a fully-diluted basis, why accepting a lower valuation can be the best option, the difference between participating preferred stock and non-participating preferred stock, and why play-to-pay scenarios are no longer common.
- Do I really owe Delaware $75,000? Explaining Delaware Franchise Tax Calculations
- Don’t have enough authorized shares? There’s a fix for that.
- Liquidation Preferences and Convertible Notes
- Negotiating Like a Pawn Star
- Silicon Valley Review Season 2, Episode 2-4: The Importance of a Good Board
- Term Sheets 101: Convertible Debt vs. Equity
- The Company Agreement Explained: Why Do I Need a Company Agreement If I Have a Certificate of Formation?