VDR Ch. 7: The Cap Table
September 5, 2017 | By Vela Wood
Office Hours is a podcast hosted by Vela Wood venture attorneys Kevin Vela and Aaron Terwey covering general issues related to small businesses and startups. Venture Deals Review is a series of Office Hours episodes discussing the book Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson.
In this episode, Kevin and Aaron review Chapter 7: “The Capitalization Table” and discuss best uses of cap tables, online cap table management platforms, and how VCs and companies each approach calculating price per share.
- How much equity should I grant to advisors?
- Silicon Valley Review S4, Ep29: Recapitalization, Founder’s Syndrome & The Unruly Board Member
- Securities Straight Talk Vol. 1: Securities Laws Matter to Startups (Yes, Yours Too)
- Don’t have enough authorized shares? There’s a fix for that.
- The 50-50 Equity Split(up)
- The Company Agreement Explained: What are Classes of Members?
You can find definitions and examples of terms found in the book and this podcast in our Venture Glossary.
- 409A Valuation
- Cap Table
- Common Stock
- Convertible Note
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Resolution
- Exercise Price
- Issued Shares
- Liquidation Preference
- Option Pool
- Outstanding Shares
- Post-Money Valuation
- Preferred Stock
- Pre-Money Valuation
- Price Cap
- Price Per Share
You’ll want to bookmark Venture Glossary as a quick reference for navigating the venture world. We love talking about startups, so follow us on Twitter. And feel free to email us at email@example.com with any comments or suggestions!