Radney Wood graduated magna cum laude from The University of Texas School of Law in Austin, Texas where he was Order of the Coif and a Rappaport Human Rights Scholar. Prior to law school, Radney graduated magna cum laude from Union College in Schenectady, New York with B.A. in Political Science, where he was a four-year starter on the varsity football team.
Before joining Vela Wood in 2015, Radney worked in the commercial litigation department of Baker Botts for four years where he represented clients at trial and on appeal in both federal and state court on issues ranging from copyright infringement, breach of contract, and professional malpractice to trade secret misappropriation and property disputes.
Radney is more than an Austin business lawyer; he is an active member of the Austin community, who has served on the board of directors of and volunteers for the immigration non-profit American Gateways and helped his Rugby Club, The Austin Huns, obtain 501(c)(3) status, and currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Huns board of directors. He also routinely gives of his time and money to Friends of the Children, a non-profit dedicated to improving the lives of the most at-risk youth in Austin and serves on their Executive Advisory Board. Radney actively supports non-profits dedicated to teaching entrepreneurship to children from under-represented groups through such organizations as Student Inc. and Notley Ventures and provides legal and monetary support to DivInc, a non-profit accelerator that bridges the gap between underrepresented entrepreneurs and the resources they need to build profitable, high-growth companies. His legal philanthropy involves taking on multiple pro bono cases throughout the year and acting as general counsel to the environmental non-profit Project Survival Media in its effort to address and combat climate change. Radney is also a supporter of the Austin arts, including organizations such as Fusebox Festival and HOPE Outdoor Gallery.
In addition to his law practice, Radney is the co-founder of the travel-club, GlobeKick, which curates international travel experiences, and is an avid traveler himself, having visited 63 countries and counting. As part of his travel, Radney has visited Brazil and Russia through State Department funded programs to discuss entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystems and learn from his gracious hosts in each country.
- General Counsel for Austin-based CPG company valued at over $100M
- General Counsel for Austin-based SaaS startup
- General Counsel for Austin-based real-estate development group
- General Counsel for northeast-based venture fund
- General Counsel for California-based fin-tech startup
- Represented Austin-based ready-to-drink alcohol manufacturer in $30M Series B financing
- Represented Austin-based CPG company in securing $10M debt facility
- Represented Dallas-based technology startup in a $1M Series Seed financing round
- Represented Dallas-based VR startup in a $2M Series Seed financing with foreign strategic investor
- Represented “Eatertainment” technology startup in over $4M in convertible note financing
- Represented California-based wine company in $4M Series A financing
- Represented New York-based investment group in $1.8M Series A investment into a SaaS startup
- Represented Dallas-based investment group in $2M investment into California-based wine company
- Represented Austin-based art-park in $5M debt/equity financing to build its new facility
- Represented Austin-based hospitality group in a $2M capital raise in order to enter Dallas market
- Represented Austin-based bar in a $5M capital raise for the opening of its second location
- Represented Austin-based dental services company in $2M acquisition
- Represented Austin-based company in the purchase of a $1M medical services business
- Represented Austin-based athletic training company in its sale of retail operations
- Represented Austin-based SaaS company in $2M stock sale
- Represented a Dallas-based party with a multi-million-dollar shareholder buyout
- Represented northeast venture capital group with formation of first fund and $50M investment
- Assisted with the representation of a Dallas-based media company in a $15M acquisition
- Was once mistaken for a Turkish soap opera star. His family may be tired of hearing the story.
- Traveled to 63 countries while only speaking English. Can now “speak” three other languages rather poorly—Arabic, Spanish and French.
- A life-long Bills, Mets, and Knicks fan. Let that sink in. He has basically given up on watching professional sports.
- Born on a farm in Upstate New York, the third of six children—now that is old school.
- University of Texas Law School, J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, & Rappaport Human Rights Scholar
- Union College, B.A., Political Science, Magna Cum Laude & Phi Beta Kappa