Lara graduated from the University of Texas School of Law in 2013. While in law school, she served as a staff member for the Texas Review of Entertainment and Sports Law and enjoyed public interest work in the fields of financial access, education, and children’s rights.
Lara is an active member of the Dallas Bar Association (DBA) and Moms in Law (MIL), a joint special interest group of DBA and the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers designed exclusively for working lawyer moms and moms-to-be. She currently serves as the Chair of the first ever Parental Leave Initiative (PLI) proposed by MIL, and in partnership with Kanarys, a social enterprise that seeks to build more inclusive work cultures. PLI is an initiative that aims to provide transparency around the parental and childcare benefits provided by law firms in Dallas. Additionally, Lara is a member of the Junior League of Dallas and serves as the Chair of Grants for Innovative Teaching, a program which funds projects in STEAM, literacy, diversity, and cultural enrichment for the Dallas Independent School District (DISD).
Prior to law school, Lara graduated cum laude from Southern Methodist University with a BBA in Finance and a BA in Spanish. After graduating from SMU, she worked for Lehman Brothers and Neuberger Berman as a Private Equity Analyst performing due diligence on investment opportunities in buyout, turnaround, and venture capital funds. The bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers was an indelible part of Lara’s early career, and spurred her to attend law school.
Born and raised in Minnesota, Lara now lives in Dallas but maintains fierce state pride as well as a penchant for lakes and hockey. Outside of the office, she and her husband, Doug, have abandoned previous pastimes in order to dedicate themselves to their first startup, their toddler son. In addition, their second startup successfully incubated and launched late winter 2017. Early milestones have been met and future growth appears promising.
- Assisted with the representation of a developer in the acquisition and financing of a senior independent living community in Memphis, Tennessee for a total purchase price of $5.65M
- Assisted with the representation of a developer in the acquisition, construction, and financing of a 118-unit townhome complex in Rogers, Arkansas for a total purchase price of approximately $18M
- Assisted with the representation of a buyer in a series of commercial real estate acquisitions in the Uptown and Oak Lawn neighborhoods of Dallas for a total purchase price of approximately $4.6M
- Assisted with the representation of a borrower in refinancing a Freddie Mac-approved Small Balance Loan of approximately $4.9M
- Assisted with the representation of a seller in a $2.5M sale of a Dallas-based residential real estate brokerage firm
- Assisted with the representation of a seller in the $12M sale of a services business