Jenny Young is a partner at Vela Wood, where she leads the firm’s employment law division. In her practice, Jenny advises and represents both employees and employers in a multitude of areas ranging from complex legal matters to general employment operations, including, human resource audits; management and executive-level matters; employment agreements and handbooks; covenants not to compete; confidentiality agreements; wage and hour disputes; wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims; and FLSA, EEOC and Texas Workforce Commission claims.
Before joining Vela Wood, Jenny’s diverse legal practice consisted of employment law litigation, commercial litigation, health law, and product liability litigation primarily for the automotive and pharmaceutical industries at a state and federal level.
Born in Germany to two New Orleans natives and raised in San Antonio, Jenny now maintains a permanent residence in Austin. Although she calls Austin home, she can often be found traveling the world and working remotely. She is an avid yogi and obtained her 200-hour registered yoga teacher certification in early 2016.
- Employment Law Risk Assessment in Mergers & Acquisitions
- Employment Processes and Systems Consultations (onboarding through termination)
- Handbook and Employment Documentation Audits and Preparation
- Employee and Executive Compensation Analysis and Advice
- Discipline and Termination Consultations
- Termination Paperwork and Separation Agreements
- Representation in Workforce Commission Audits and Investigations
- Representation in EEOC Investigations
- FLSA Compliance Audits
- Exemption Evaluations (Exempt v. Non-Exempt classifications)
- Worker Classification Evaluations (Employees v. Contractors)
- Pre-Litigation and Settlement Negotiations
- Restrictive Covenant Violations
- Breach of Contract
- She may or may not be the reason Jimmy Kimmel stopped taping a live show in Austin during SXSW.
- Is a 200-hour registered yoga teacher.
- Has “boarded” on snow, sand, water, asphalt, and cement.
- University of Texas School of Law, JD
- University of Texas at San Antonio, BA, Criminal Justice, Magna Cum Laude, Dean’s List