Fernando Avelar is a senior attorney at Vela Wood. He focuses his practice in the areas of M&A, venture capital, and private equity. Fernando has represented investors, private equity firms, entrepreneurs, and established businesses across a multitude of industries, including real estate, energy, manufacturing, healthcare, technology, retail, and food. Fernando speaks, reads, and writes fluent Spanish, and is able to provide bilingual representation on request.
We forget: In life, it doesn’t matter what happens to you or where you came from. It matters what you do with what happens and what you’ve been given. And the only way you’ll do something spectacular is by using it all to your advantage. – Ryan Holiday
Fernando received his B.A. in Economics from The University of Texas at Austin. He graduated from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, where he was an Articles Editor and the Latin America Reporter for the International Law Review Association.
After graduating from law school, Fernando spent several years practicing in the corporate group of a mid-size law firm headquartered in Dallas, Texas. There he represented clients involved in a myriad of transactions ranging from venture capital to multi-million dollar M&A deals.
Fernando is a native Texan and resides in Colleyville. Outside of the office, Fernando enjoys traveling, spending time with his dog (Corbin), and is a mixed-martial arts enthusiast.
- Represented a window manufacturer in the sale of its business to a public company for $240M, which won D CEO Magazine’s 2017 M&A Large Deal award
- Represented the principals of a moving and storage company in the sale of their equity for $238M
- Represented a private equity group in the purchase of a pump and valve manufacturer for $25.5M
- Represented an international chemical technology company in the sale of a coal refinery for $13M
- Represented a North American aircraft maintenance, repair, and overhaul company in the equity purchase of an aircraft repair station for $30M
- Represented the principal of a clothing manufacturer in the sale of a portion of his equity to a private equity firm in a transaction valued at $90M
- Represented a private equity group in the purchase of a beverage company for $19.5M
- Restructured a healthcare company which allowed it to continue generating multi-million dollar profits
- Represented a supply chain company in a $3M equity financing round
- Represented a healthcare staffing agency in a $760K equity financing round
- Represented a wine filtration manufacturer in a $500K debt financing round