Denise is a senior attorney at Vela Wood. Denise’s experience includes representing clients ranging from public companies to startups in transactional matters. She has represented both companies and investors in transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, venture capital financings, private securities offerings ranging from seed financings to pre-IPO financings, private equity matters, and initial public offerings. She also regularly advises companies on entity formation and general corporate governance matters. She has significant experience representing emerging companies in the technology space.
Talents are best nurtured in solitude; character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Denise graduated from the University of Texas School of Law. While in law school, she served as a staff editor for both the Texas Journal for Women in the Law and the Texas Hispanic Journal of Law & Policy and served as a student attorney in the Immigration Law Clinic.
Prior to law school, Denise graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Business Honors and Supply Chain Management.
Denise is a mentor for 1L students at the University of Texas School of Law.
Denise grew up in Houston and Lubbock, as the daughter of two Peruvian immigrants. She now lives in Austin with her husband, Michael, their son, Benji, and their three dogs. She enjoys reading, traveling, and scuba diving.
- Represented an Austin-based application software company in a $15 million Series B financing round
- Represented a Dallas-based sweepstakes application company in a $7 million financing round
- Helped represent a public provider of digital transformation solutions for banking and lending in a $510 million acquisition of an enterprise SaaS provider
- Helped represent SolarWinds, an Austin-based network management software company, in a $151.5 million initial public offering
- Helped represent RetailMeNot in its sale to Harland Clarke for US$630 million
- Represented an Atlanta-based customer data platform company in a $10.5 million Series C financing round
- Represented an Atlanta-based cybsersecurity solutions company in an $8.8 million Series A financing round
- Represented an Austin-based clean energy company in a $16 million Series C financing round
- Represented underwriters in an $18.2 million public offering for a semiconductor solutions company
- Represented lead investor in a $5 million Series D financing in an Austin-based cider company
- Represented lead investor in a $21 million Series C financing in an Austin-based vacation rental management company
- Represented an Atlanta-based neighborhood surveillance company in a $9.6 million Series A financing round and a $10 million Series A-1 financing round