Carr is a partner at Vela Wood. He represents financial institutions, private equity funds and public and private companies across multiple industries, including real estate development, energy, financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, and hospitality. He has a particular interest in emerging companies and startups. Carr was named a 2016, 2017, and 2018 Super Lawyer Rising Star.
Email Carr Staley
It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
– Ursula K. Le Guin
Carr graduated cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center (UHLC) in 2009, where he was a Note and Comment Editor of the UHLC Law Review.
Prior to law school, Carr received a BA in Political Science from the University of Texas.
After graduating from UHLC, Carr was a corporate and finance associate at Haynes and Boone from 2009-2012 and at Strasburger & Price from 2012-2016. Carr was named a Super Lawyer Rising Star for 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Carr’s practice focuses on advising his clients on a wide range of corporate and financial transactions, including commercial lending transactions, formation of venture capital funds and private equity funds, acquisitions and divestitures, and corporate restructuring and reorganization. Carr also assists his clients with general corporate governance and compliance matters.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company in an acquisition of approximately 1875 net acres and non-operated working interests in 214 producing wells in the Bakken Shale in North Dakota and Montana
- Represented a purchaser in a $9M asset acquisition from a veteran employment and recruiting service
- Represented a private equity fund in a $188M membership interest acquisition from a heavy equipment manufacturer
- Represented a hotel developer in a $171M Regulation S private offering in connection with the development of a convention center hotel
- Represented a hotel developer in an $8M Regulation D private offering in connection with the development of hotel properties
- Represented a pharmaceutical group in a $200K Regulation D private offering in connection with the development of a compounding pharmacy
- Represented a hospital group in $3.08M Regulation D private offering in connection with the development of a hospital