Candace Groth graduated summa cum laude from Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul, Minnesota. After law school, Candace served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Christine A. Nowak on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Candace is active in both the Texas and Dallas legal communities. She is a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and is an active member of the Grants and Scholarship Committees for the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL) Foundation. She also currently serves as Co-Chair of the DAYL Freedom Run and Women’s Mentoring Circle Committees.
Candace was named the DAYL One to Watch for May 2022. Additionally, she is a past-Chair of the Civil Liberties & Civil Rights Section of the State Bar of Texas and currently serves on the Section’s Council. Candace is a frequent speaker and author on corporate and data privacy issues.
Candace was born and raised in the Midwest, but has settled happily in Dallas, Texas. She enjoys running, knitting, and spending time with her two Shih Tzus, Arthur and Louis.
- Contributing Author, Texas Business Organizations Manual, Texas Bar Books (2020)
- Crossing the Border, Tips for Attorneys, Bench & Bar of Minnesota (August 2019)
- The Future of Collective Employment Arbitration Part II: Apocalyptic Warnings, Lochnerizing, and the Right to Contract, 24 Tex. J. on C.L. & C.R. (2018)
- Protecting the Profession through the Pen: A Proposal for Liberalizing ABA Model Rule of Professional Conduct 5.4 to Allow Multidisciplinary Firms, 37 Hamline L. Rev. 565 (2014)
- Revolution is No Longer a One State Affair, 1 Macalester Rev. (2011)
Presentations and Awards
- DAYL One to Watch for May 2022
- The Indemnification Section: Misjudged and Misunderstood, Vela Wood, P.C. (April 20, 2022)
- What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You: Privacy and Cybersecurity for Your Law Firm, Privacy in 2021, State Bar of Texas Civil Liberties & Civil Rights Section (September 17, 2021)
- You’re Fired: The First Amendment and Social Media, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 18, 2021)
- You’re Fired: The First Amendment and Social Media, 15th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 14, 2021)
- Data Privacy Rights: Searches at the Border and Beyond, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 14, 2019)
- Searching for Data Privacy, 13th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 17, 2019)
- Ethics in Practice: Exploring Ethics from Different Practice Perspectives, Hamline Univ. School of Law (Nov. 18, 2015)
- Attractiveness and Certainty: The Minnesota LLC Act Makeover, Hamline Univ. School of Law (Oct.13, 2015)
- Represented an artificial intelligence startup with Latin American and United States operations in connection with acquisition by a public company.
- Represented a health care services business in connection with the sale of the business to a Canadian company including cross-border tax considerations.
- Represented a managed IT provider seller in connection with acquisition by a private equity-backed competitor. The deal included an f-reorganization and extended escrow requirements, including a PPP Loan escrow
- Represented a Minnesota buyer in connection with the purchase of a lakeside resort, including management of extensive real estate holdings and planned communities (HOA’s). The deal included a novel combination of seller, conventional, and MHFA financing.
- Represented a Minnesota seller in connection with the sale of a restaurant, including optimization of seller tax treatment for the transaction
- Represented a Minnesota buyer in connection with purchase of a Texas cosmetology business
- Represented two national managed service companies in connection with a strategic merger in multiple phases
- Represented twelve Minnesota real estate companies in connection with a complex restructuring of the existing entities, allowing the companies to generate substantial returns for their investors
- Represented an investor in connection with the termination of a rollover business startup (ROBS) structure
- Represented a Minnesota real estate company in connection with a MNVest offering
- Candace practiced for several years in Minneapolis, Minnesota prior to moving to Texas.
- During her time in college, Candace studied abroad in Avila, Spain and London, England.
- Arthur and Louis, Candace’s Shih Tzus, are fondly called the “Little Princes” since they were named after King Arthur and King Louis XIV.
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- Macalester College, B.A. in International Studies, Minors in History and Psychology, Cum Laude