Radney Wood is a named partner at Vela Wood where he divides his practice between commercial litigation and general corporate matters, concentrating on partnership disputes, corporate governance, venture financing, and contract negotiations. Radney represents dozens of companies ranging from early-stage startups to mid-size businesses, acting as general counsel and providing them with guidance on myriad business transactions, which range from legal matters to general operational issues. Before joining Vela Wood in 2015, Radney worked in the commercial litigation department of Baker Botts for four years where he represented clients at trial and on appeal in both federal and state court on issues ranging from copyright infringement, breach of contract, and professional malpractice to trade secret misappropriation and property disputes.
The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. -Chris McCandless
Fun Facts about Radney Wood
- Was once mistaken for a Turkish soap opera star. His family may be tired of hearing the story.
- Traveled to 52 countries while only speaking English. Can now “speak” three other languages rather poorly—Arabic, Spanish and French.
- A life long Bills, Mets, and Knicks fan. Let that sink in. He has basically given up on watching professional sports.
- Born on a farm in Upstate New York, the third of six children—now that is old school.
Radney is more than an Austin business lawyer; he is an active member of the Austin community, who has served on the board of directors of the immigration non-profit American Gateways, helped his Rugby Club, The Austin Huns, obtain 501(c)(3) status, and routinely given of his time and money to Team Austin, a non-profit providing programming scholarships to at-risk youth. He also takes pro bono cases through VLS and participates in Austin Young Lawyer volunteer events. In addition to his law practice, Radney is the co-founder of the work-travel business, GlobeKick, which curates international travel programs in personal wellness and professional development for remote professionals.
Radney received his B.A. in political science from Union College in Schenectady, New York in 2002, where he was a four-year starter on the varsity football team. He graduated from The University of Texas School of Law in the spring of 2008, where he was Order of the Coif and a Rappaport Human Rights Scholar. While being a native New Yorker, Radney has adopted many of the most important qualities of a Texan: he says “y’all” (occasionally) and proselytizes brisket as the ultimate barbecue food (often).
- Represented an Austin-based bar in a $1.6M capital raise.
- Represented a Dallas-based party with a multi-million dollar shareholder buyout.
- Assisted with the representation of an Austin-based hospitality company in a $1.8M capital raise.
- Assisted with the representation of a Dallas-based media company in a $15M acquisition.
- Represented a Dallas-based technology startup in a $1 million Series Seed financing round.